Friday, August 28, 2026

Open House New York : Delacorte Theater Behind-the-Scenes Tour , August 21 オープンハウスニューヨーク:デラコルテ劇場舞台裏ツアー





Delacorte Theater in Central Park is home to one of New York City’s most iconic summer cultural experiences: Free Shakespeare in the Park. They were playing theWinter's Tale. I participated as a volunteer photographer for Behind-the-Scenes Tour presented with Open House New York and The Public Theater. Although no pictures were allowed at back stage, it was very insightful and fun tour.

The theater reopened in 2025 with a fully redesigned facade, seating section, and stage. Seating was custom made by a leading Japanese theater seating company. Kotobuki. They are soft and slow rise, so no disturbance to other patrons when leaving during a performance.

I saw the Winter's Tale stage on August 1. My late mentor Noriko in the New York City used to take me to this Shakespeare series many times. After 4 years passed since she passed way, I finally started to truly enjoy Shakespeare and this series without trying hard .

It was a perfect summer night theater experience. I enjoyed the experience with my all senses, the music of Shakespeare's language, the sky getting darker, the same breeze that I enjoy makes the heroine's hair on stage flow, and the fragrant summer air.

Also, this is my third year as a volunteer photographer for Open House New York. Lots of elements defining me in the NewYork City over years are layered and over-wrapped in this photoshoot.

セントラルパークにあるデラコルテ・シアターは、ニューヨーク市の夏の風物詩の一つである無料野外イベント「シェイクスピア・イン・ザ・パーク」の会場である。私は、オープン・ハウス・ニューヨークとパブリック・シアターが共催する舞台裏ツアーで、ボランティア写真家として撮影を行った。この日は『冬物語』が上演されており、舞台裏での写真撮影は禁止されていたが、非常に興味深く楽しいツアーだった。

この劇場は2025年に、ファサード、客席、舞台を全面的に改装して再オープンした。客席は、日本を代表する劇場用座席メーカー「コトブキ」が特注で製作したもの。座席の立ち上がりが緩やかであるため、公演中に席を立つ際も他の観客の迷惑にならない。

私は8月1日、『冬物語』の舞台を観た。ニューヨークでの恩師・紀子さんは、かつて私をこのシェイクスピアのシリーズに何度も連れて行ってくれた。彼女が亡くなってから4年が経ち、ようやく私も背伸びせずにシェイクスピアとこのシリーズを心から楽しめるようになってきた。

それは、まさに完璧な夏の夜の演劇体験だった。シェイクスピアの言葉が奏でる音楽、次第に暗くなっていく空、私が感じているのと同じそよ風が舞台上のヒロインの髪をなびかせ、そして香り高い夏の空気――私は五感のすべてでこの体験を満喫した。

また、今年は、オープン・ハウス・ニューヨークでボランティア写真家を始めてから3年目。長年にわたりニューヨークでの私を形作ってきた多くの要素が、この写真撮影の中に重なり合い、織りなされ、感慨ひとしおだった。


OHNY Table


Tour Participants








Our guide


Participants on Stage







Bohemia Set for The Winter's Tale (foreground),  Belvedere Castle(background)


Stage

Facade


Seating by Kotobuki

No comments:

Post a Comment